The Local Government Reorganisation Advisory Board
Next meeting – Details to be confirmed
The Advisory Board is a less formal public meeting and is designed to provide a way for councillors, public sector partners, the public and other interested groups to feed into the process and share ideas as the new council takes shape. The Board will develop links to Somerset Youth Parliament.
The Board’s role is advisory, but its proposals, ideas and recommendations will feed into the unitary programme and the decision-making Joint Committee. Meetings will be held monthly in locations around the county.
- Thursday 17 March: Williams Hall, Stoke St Gregory, Taunton. Slides from the meeting are available here
- Thursday 3 February: Virtual meeting. Slides from the meeting are available here:
- Thursday 16 December: Virtual meeting.
- A short survey has been issued to gain further insight into views regarding the role description for new unitary councillors. This builds on discussion at the 16 December LGR Advisory Board meeting. Responses are welcome from all. The survey will remain open for two weeks, and close on 26 January.
The slides from the meeting are here Discussion on the role of Somerset Councillors. Here are example job descriptions from other counties that helped to inform the discussion.
We discussed recommendations made by city, town and parish representatives (SALC and SLCC) and presented detail of the Local Community Network pilots in Exmoor and Frome
Discussion focused on how the various organisations could best work together to deliver real change and improve lives in Somerset
- 30 September – Holy Trinity Church, Frome
We introduced the Board and our initial focus on developing Local Community Network (LCN) pilots. Discussion highlighted the importance of working with city, town and parish councils.